Is it possible to Celebrate Communion too Often?
The first thing I found was a very old writing by a Greek Orthodox priest named Macarius Notaras from the 18th century. He advocated that Communion should be taken as frequently as possible. He stated "To receive Communion the usual two or three times a year is good and helpful, but to receive Communion more frequently is far better." He even went so far as to point out an irony in that we feed our bodies two or three times a day, why do we restrict feeding our souls to so few time a year? This surprised me a little because I expected a priest from such a strictly liturgical would give a far more rigid answer, but that wasn't the case.
- How Often Should We Receive Holy Communion? — Greek ...An article written by an Archbishop of the 18th century, addressing an issue that is very contemporary in our present age, how frequent...
Are there differences in the frequency that congregations celebrate the Lord's Supper based on denomination?
- The next item I found was a discussion posted on Chuck Warnock's blog "Confessions of a Small Church Pastor" - that basically just asked the open question "Communion: How often is too often?" Again, what I read there surprised me. The readers, almost all from non-liturgical churches, posted some really interesting comments. For example, one reader posted "I’m usually not a traditionalist, and find that I lose meaning by doing something so often it becomes commonplace; this is probably a function of my age. But communion is one of those rare exceptions. The more I’ve come to celebrate it, the more meaningful it has become." As a lifelong Episcopalian, I find it really interesting that non-liturgical churches are showing so much interest in celebrating Communion more often than quarterly or once a month.
- Communion: how often is too often? | ChuckWarnock.comJan 31, 2008 ... A pastor friend of mine dropped by yesterday to talk about communion. He increased the observance of com...
Does the Bible say how often Christians should Celebrate Communion?
- Since I talk to so many Christians about their Communion supplies every day, from both liturgical and non-liturgical churches, I've seen and heard about many different approached. I've even talked to Christians who take Communion at home every day. My first instinct, because of my own background was "You can't to that!" But the more I reflect on it, and the more stories I hear, have made me realize that anywhere and anytime is right for Communion, as long as my heart and mind are ready to receive God's blessing. Check out what writer Jody Sullivan had to say to a reader who asked:
"I grew up in a church where communion was something you only did at "church" (unless you were dying!) but what can you tell me about what the Bible says about being able to take communion at home with my family.
Does the Bible say this is possible?"
- Christianity -- Christian Living: Can I take communion at home like ...Apr 12, 2006 ... My answer to your question, Can I take communion at home like the disciples did? is YES! I will give you the scripture...
- How often do you celebrate Communion? Do you think it's often enough? Do you think it's too often? Do you think it's possible that it loses it's "specialness" if it's done too often?
Post a comment - I'd love to know what you think!
Celebrate Communion! - A Christian Blog About Worship, Faith & Community
- Factory insights: Behind the story of gluten free Communion
- Toddler Bravery
- Share the Spirit, Not the Germs
- Glad and Sincere Hearts
- Serving Gluten Free Communion Wafers Safely, a Church Volunteer's Guide
- 2 Steps to Serving Gluten Free Communion
- Lori Ralls Discusses New Prefilled Communion Cups on The Wiley Drake Show
- Meet and Greet -- On the Road with Communion Samples
- How to Plan a First Communion Celebration for Kids
- Personal Story: Making a Modern Day “Communion Parable” For Kids
- Is It Possible to Celebrate Communion too Often
- Is a Low Gluten Communion Wafer Really Okay for Celiacs?
- Communion Cups in American Churches - A Brief History
- How Do You Celebrate Communion?
- Celebrate Communion Launches in December!
Is It Possible to Celebrate Communion too Often
Posted by Dana Tan on 3/16/2012 to General
Date 7/6/2012 9:46:29 AM